Positive Leadership Development Institute
The PLDI™ program aims to build the resilience and leadership capacities of people living with HIV in Australia.
The Institute is an international collaboration with a similar program operating in Canada and is based upon the principles of the greater involvement and meaningful engagement of people living with HIV. The Institute is focused upon placing people living with HIV as central and vital in all aspects of the Institute’s programs and services.
The mission of the Institute is to:
- Honour the leadership of the past;
- Value the leadership here today; and,
- Inspire leadership for our future.
The PLDI™ facilitation team is made up of graduates selected by their peers who undergo a year-long three stage process of training and development to equip them with the coordination, facilitation and evaluation skills to be leaders in their fields. These committed professionals guide the participants through the weekend’s intensive training and exploration of leadership.
To date there have been over 4000 years of lived HIV experience that have gone through the introductory course and who have asked the question: “Who am I as a Leader?” The curriculum objectives for the Leadership Training are for participants to have the opportunity to:
- Understand the five principles and 10 commitments of leadership
- Realise individual leadership potential
- Participate in building a network of leaders within the PLHIV community
- Realise the potential and strengths that each individual brings to the network
- Learn about and practice leadership skills in a safe environment
- Inspire others to become leaders
- Encourage participants to take on facilitator and mentoring roles within the community
- Expand participant’s awareness of the PLHIV community
The workshop is open to any person living with HIV. Visit pldiaustralia.org.au for more information and details on the next workshop.